FEBRUARY 24-27, 2020, State Capitol, Lincoln, NE
from 12:00-1:00 pm
APPLICATION PROCESS AND GUIDELINES
Applications for ensemble participation (20 minute concert) in the 2020 Capitol Concerts will be taken online from October 31, 2019 through January 15, 2020. The online application will consist of entering member and ensemble information, and uploading two audio selections as well as an ensemble photo, director bio, and director photo.
Ensemble audio-only audition files must be in one of the following file formats: .wma, .avi, .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv. Note that file formats such as .mp3 can be converted to .mp4 format (audio-only). There are various ways to convert including using iTunes (see https://videoconverter.iskysoft.com/convert-audio/convert-mp3-to-mp4-itunes.html for sample instructions) and using free, on-line utilities like https://online-audio-converter.com/.
- Director must be an NMEA member.
- Only the ensemble that auditions (other than soloists or accompaniment chamber ensemble) may perform at Capitol Concerts.
- Small instrumental chamber ensembles are encouraged to apply. (LARGE instrumental ensembles are not effective in the Capitol rotunda.)
- Two good quality selections with a variety of musical styles must be uploaded to complete the application. Files may be labeled with the ensemble/school name, but the selections should NOT identify the ensemble.
- A photo of the ensemble must be uploaded and the file labeled with the ensemble/school name.
- All travel expenses are the responsibility of the school, not NMEA.
- All equipment needs, with the exception of a piano, will be the responsibility of the school. Specific requests may be allowed after the selection process.
- The Nebraska State Capitol and the Capitol complex are public buildings that are used daily for the purpose of government. It is understood that the behavior of students is the responsibility of the director and chaperones.
- NMEA is not responsible for the legislative session going past 12 noon - no groups are allowed to perform while the Legislature is in session.
- The selection of the ensembles shall be the responsibility of a committee selected by the NMEA Board. Notification of the selected ensembles will be made by January 31. Selection will be based on equity regarding instrumental/vocal, grade level, school size and geographic location. No more than two ensembles will perform each day.
- NMEA Policy: Groups performing for the 2018 or 2019 NMEA Education Week are NOT eligible in 2020.