As a Collegiate member of NMEA there are opportunities to serve in apprentice leadership positions within the organization, contribute articles to the Nebraska Music Educator magazine and to participate in our Collegiate Showcase recital.
Click here to join today!
Student Teacher Grant
A minimum of two grants in the amount of $1000.00 each, will be awarded summer 2019 to students enrolled in a Nebraska college or university that has an active NAfME Collegiate student chapter during the 2018-2019 school year.
- Applicants must be music majors intent upon pursuing a career in music education.
- Applicants must be a member of a NAfME Collegiate chapter. Recipients of the grant must prove active membership in their Collegiate chapter, or after June expiration of Collegiate membership, prove first year membership in NAfME (half price).
- The grant will be paid directly to the student after the Committee has been officially notified by the college or university that student teaching has been completed successfully.
- Applications will be accepted once a year, for both the fall and spring student teaching.
- The deadline for application is May 1 and incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. An official transcript must be postmarked by May 1 and received in the NMEA office, PO Box 85362, Lincoln, NE 68501.
Click here for more information and to apply for the grant.
NMEA Board Position
NMEA's Bylaws provide for a collegiate member seat on the Board of Directors. Every year the candidate for the office of Director of Collegiate Members shall be nominated and elected while in their sophomore year by student members of the Association in accordance with the voting procedure approved by the student representative board. He or she shall serve one year as apprentice (Sophomore year) and one year as Director (Junior year). All Sophomore student members are eligible to run for NMEA's Board of Director of Collegiate Members position.
Are you a College Instructor and NMEA member who would like to contribute a guest article for NMEA's magazine? If so, please contact Derrick Fox to apply to be a collegiate guest contributor. Collegiate guest article deadlines are as follows:
March Issue (deadline January 10)
July Issue (deadline May 10)
October Issue (deadline August 10)
Collegiate Chapter of Distinction Award
In an effort to recognize the hard work and services the state collegiate chapters provide, the Nebraska Music Education Association will recognize chapters that exceed expectations and stand out in promoting the future of music education in Nebraska.
In order for the award to be given to the most distinguished chapters each year, as well as making sure our Director of Collegiate Members in the state are functioning in a positive order, all state chapters must provide a brief report of their chapters endeavors during the previous school year to the Director of Collegiate Members by May 1st. The Director of Collegiate Members will then pass along copies of the reports to the selection committee that will select the two chapters of distinction. The Director of Collegiate Members will also make copies of the reports and file them away for reference. Chapters are allowed and strongly encouraged to send artifacts such as brochures, fliers, meeting minutes, pictures, etc. along with their reports.
This award is given to at least two chapters that best represent three major areas: Chapter Operations, Service, and Professional Development. The selection committee also take into consideration the presentation/clarity of the report.
The 2018 Collegiate Chapter of Distinction Award was awarded to Doane University, Chelcey Mannel, President and Kathy Ohlman, Collegiate Advisor.
The 2019 Award Application form can be accessed by clicking here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email the following:
Hannah Rembert, Director of Collegiate Members
Derrick Fox, Director of College/University Affairs